concept equals

Abstract Initiative
Developer Log 1
12th March 2017

Today I'm briefly going to talk about the conception of Abstract Initiative and a general timeline of development. Originally Abstract Initiative started off as small project which was derived from something bigger, it's development time was meant to be just a weekend. Whilst working on it I noticed the main mechanic (moving objects with a variety of forces) was quite interesting due to the amount of depth it had. So I started to take the project more seriously and created levels and modes which could demonstrate the gameplay possibilities. I spent around 3 months on this and a formed a prototype, this was started in April 2014.

I then went on to develop concept equals, my eventual company. Forming concept equals was important to Abstract Initiative as it brought in a set of philosophies which would influence the design and core message (read more here).

Once concept equals was formed (branding, website and social networks), I decided to go back to working on the larger project that Abstract Initiative was derived from. I developed a bunch of new gameplay and graphical elements and produced a prototype, this took place from August 2014 to January 2016.

Although this project was shaping up quite well, the time needed to complete it had grown. I assessed whether I should carry on or return back to Abstract Initiative.

I made the decision to switch my focus back to Abstract Initiative as I had a hunger to work on it again, I also felt I could get it ready for a release. I took the knowledge and skills I'd learnt from the previous project and integrated it into Abstract Initiative. Due to already having a solid prototype for Abstract Initiative from 2014 I was able to refine it, add 4 modes and develop a UI which was able to handle translations.

In July 2016 I had most of the work complete and started to create media such as screenshots and trailers so I could show Abstract Initiative to the public.

In August 2016 I put Abstract Initiative on Steam Greenlight, fortunately it received enough votes from the community to pass through in around 17 days.

The feedback I received on Greenlight was quite useful too, I took the next month to make some improvements based on it. One thing I noticed whilst on Greenlight was that my marketing could have been a lot better, only people who visited Steam Greenlight or followed me on a social network would have known that Abstract Initiative existed. Realising this I knew I had to significantly improve my messaging, so I spent the next few months learning about marketing and communication.

So now it's March 2017, in a couple of week I'll be entering my final few weeks of crunch for Abstract Initiative. It's going to be interesting.

Learn more about Abstract Initiative here.

Social Media

Abstract Initiative

Merchandise

Twitter